Sunday 5 October 2014

Miss Radcliffe Meets......Chairman Maf



Miss R: You've been making music for over ten years.  How did you get into music production? Do you remember the first beat you made?

I've been a musician since I was a kid and I play quite a few instruments. I have a lot of musicians in the family. I still have the first beat I ever made, It wasn't that bad really, looking back on it!

Miss R: Growing up, what music did you listen to?

Everything really. I think the best producers always have a pretty eclectic music taste. The only genres I don't like are Metal and Country and Western, although Dolly Parton's "Jolene" is a TUNE!!

Miss R: How would you describe your style?

Soulful, melodic, cinematic instrumental hip hop

Miss R: What inspires your music?

I just like any music that set's a mood and has a bit of atmosphere,  something people will listen to more than once. I'm pretty competitive too.

Miss R: Have you thought about becoming a rapper or written any lyrics to go with your beats?

Yeah but I'd be pretty bad lol. I've never written any lyrics, but I've have good rhythm..don't tempt me.. you'd regret it..

Miss R: Looking back from when you first started out, how have you developed your craft?

My production technique is still pretty lo-fi and that's how I like it. 
I've avoided learning too much technically.. I've just learned how to layer beats to make them a bit more complex and less repetitive.

Miss R: You teamed up with Cyclonious  for the 'Hostile Leadership' EP (which I love by the way) Are there any other artist you wish to collab with?

I've worked with Dirty Dike, Kingpin, Skillit, Nate, Chima Anya, Skuff  and loads more. To be honest I'm more focussed on the instrumentals , but if I had to say someone it'd have to either be Chester P or Kyza in the UK.

Miss R: What are you working on right now?

Just getting ready to rerelease my debut album 1976 on a limited cassette through Brain Food records (get it here: CHAIRMAN MAF - 1976 - (ALBUM) (CASSETTE SAMPLER), by CHAIRMAN MAF - 1976) before releasing my 2nd instrumental album "Paint" through the same label. Also loads of MC stuff to come   


Miss R: What has been your greatest achievement so far?

1976

Miss R: Who are your top 3 Hip Hop Artist?

Madlib, Dilla, Little Brother

Miss R: Do you have any other interests/talents outside of music?

I like to knit ;)


https://soundcloud.com/chairmanmaf

@ChairmanMaf  



No comments:

Post a Comment