Saturday 16 May 2015

Miss Radcliffe Meets......CALI P


I had the pleasure of catching up with reggae artist, musician, singer/songwriter Cali P.





Miss R: Some of your musical influences are Bunny Wailer, Peter Tosh & Bob Marley.. Growing up, what other genres of music did you enjoy? Who did you listen to?

Bless up Miss Radcliffe! Yes, it's really true. Bunny Wailer, Tosh, Bob Marley, Burning Spear, Jacob Miller and Big Youth. But then other genres of music are there of course because I useed to hear a lot of African music. People like Salif Keïta, Fala..various people. I'm also influenced by my fathers music. It's like a cultural movement in Guadeloupe, and they make drum music. it's all about riddim' and the drum.
That's pretty much the music I grew up with. Of course Michael Jackson. I was a great Michael Jackson fan but Bob Marley was always my hero though. He was the number one.



Miss R: Your love for music is very strong. You started out very young. From playing the drums with your father as a baby to emcing with a sound system (Gideon Solders) as a teen. What inspires you to make music? What message do you want to give your fans?


Yes, that's right as well. I mean I love music because music was always with me from a very young age. I would just always see music building around me. Music recording around me, musical instruments being made around me. So it's something that itself inspired me the most.
To see my father building drums and selling them, putting on the TV and seeing somebody playing the drums it was just so familiar you know. Everything with music was always familiar to me.
Going to shows, spending hours just seeing people setting up the stage and checking the sound. Checking how the drummer  sits and beats the same drum for half an hour until the sound right. I think all these things really influence me in loving music the way I do. 
Where I take my inspiration now, to make my music is really in my everyday life. As in what I see around me, what I live, the conversations I have with my bredrins and sistrins. All these things really inspire me. I would say everyday life inspires me. And the message I want my fans to get from me would be, to keep focused. There are so many different messages. At the end of the day I could say "alright I want to point my people towards the almighty" because that's the first mission, It's not really to glorify Cali P. It's really to find the most high because that's who I sing about mostly.
So..One Love, Unity and Strength teach people, because I really believe that people can learn from music. So lyrics are really important! You can teach the people, teach the youths and teach the elders. For real!



Miss R: Is it true you recently made a song with Capleton? (exciting) :-)

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!...It is very true. I recently just recorded a song with Capelton (It's not out yet) I can tell you I recorded it for Big League music. Seanie B from England. I am very,very excited about this song because I just went to link Capelton about it and from the start when he heard the riddim' he was ready and said, "OK Cali I believe that's our song", We wrote the song together and I'm really happy about it because Capelton is one of the artists I really looked up to from a young age, before I myself started to sing. I'm talking about when I was like 12 or 13. So to actually be able to make a song with that same man is a great honour to me.
Big Up Capelton!


Miss R:  Are there any other artist/producers you would like to work with in the near future?

There are a lot of artist and producers  I would like to work with in the near future. It's all about the music. Also, I can tell you, I like to do unexpected works. I like to work with people that would make you think "Yo, how come they're working together, They are not the same vibe" That is where music can surprise you, because music is one thing and personality is a next thing.
Some people make music and have a different personality from the music they produce. I recently recorded a song with Popcaan called "Upside Down" and it's something completely different. I went in to a electronics sound. That 'party'type song.  I wouldn't say that's my lifestyle but I love to make music and in music I'm unlimited.
So we did the song and it's doing really good right now. It came out and touched the charts in Switzerland and some other places.
Big Up DJ Vincz Lee who line up that Fire Fly that's the people I work with right now.
And in Jamaica, there are a lot of producers and artist that I still have yet to work with and those I've worked with already, I'm waiting for the songs to released.

Vincz Lee feat Popcaan, Cali P, FireFLY & Riga - Upside Down (Lyric Video)



Miss R: I hear you are a good skier! What else do you like to do for fun?

Actually, It's really funny because I'm out so much with the music, when I don't have a show or anybody to meet in relation to music, I don't really go out.
That's the time I use to study, read, listen to other peoples music and really meditate and spend time with my bredrins and sistrins. I love conversation. I love to bun ganja and hold a vibe

And yeah I can ski, It's been a long time though. I love traveling. I love to see different places and I'm thankful that the music has made it possible for me to travel and to discover that love of traveling and seeing different cultures, hearing different dialects, seeing different people, different movements and lifestyles. I love that.


Miss R: 'Healing Of The Nation' is your latest EP. I especially love "My Home" "Wah Gwann" & "Bed of Roses" Do you have a favourite track?

Yes! I would say "Healing Of The Nation" is overall my favourite project at the moment because it really reflects Cali P at this stage right now. I want to make healing music. I wanna make music that will strengthen the people, that will uplift the people make them improve in their everyday life. So for that, they need solutions. For that they need love, for that they need positive input. So I cannot say which song is my favourite because really and truly all these nine songs on "Healing Of The Nation" are my favourite songs that I made specially for that project. I could of added other songs as well, but I really chose those nine because every one has a different focus and a different topic.

Also, I chose specially NOT to put a ganja song on this time because everybody knows Cali P is a ganja man and everybody knows ganja is the healing of the nation but I also believe that music is the healing of the nation because it's universal and it unites the people. It's for everyone. Everyone in this world needs music and makes music in a certain way. if it's only even to clap ya hand or hum a melody. Everybody is connected to music.


Cali P - Healing Of The Nation (HEMP HIGHER / ICEDROP REC 2014)




Miss R: Are you working on a new album? If so,when do you expect to release it?

Yes. I'm always working on a new album. In general I'm always recording, always writing music and always making music. I'm working on a album with Bobby Digital entitled 'Musiclali Speaking'. I don't have a release date for it but I know it's in the works. I also work with other people from Jamaica to Sweden to England..All over the place. There are albums being created. So I can't tell you any release date and I don't know exactly how I'm going to do it. If I am just gonna put out one album now and then wait 3 years to release the next one, Or if I'm just gonna get all crazy and put out 5 albums in one year lol. I really don't know yet, but you can definitely expect a lot of work from Cali P.


Miss R:Where has been your favourite place to perform? Where would you like to perform next?

I love to make music and I love to perform wherever it may be.
But if you ask me like that, I think the first place I would think about is Africa to tell you the truth. Just because when I performed there the first time in 2004, I was in Gambia, that still at the beginning of my music career, 11 years ago. When we played there and when I touched the microphone ,that was the first time I saw a place turn upside down and getting crazy! The moment I touched that mic and said two words the place jus' mash up. I saw the place was in a very different vibe. Fire was blazing, security left the door and running around just being happy. It was the craziest show I ever saw definitely.

So Big Up all my Gambia family for giving me so much love. It was very needed and I think it really gave me the strength to go on the road I'm on right now and to know my mission.
Where would I like to perform next? I mean, I'm open to the world everywhere. I don't say "oh I like there more, or there or there". I love everywhere because we do it for the people. And the people are the four corners of the world!
I would love to go to Australia and  tour more in the US, Canada, The islands.
Miss R: So...When will you next be in the UK?

I'll be in England at the JAZZ CAFE in London on the 25th May. I'm performing there live with Randy Valentine for his "Still Pushing" EP. alongside Dionne Reid & General Levy. Yeah, I'm really looking forward to England. I'm gonna spend a couple days in London recording, creating and visiting family.

Wah Gwaan 




Miss R:  What has been your biggest achievement in your career?

I'm thinking right now..I think every time I write a song it's an achievement. It's like meditation put to paper to build a song. I love that process.
As far as a statistics, If I put out a album or a single and I see it goes to number one that is nice but It's not really what I pay attention to. If I went somewhere and the show was sold out or there wasn't many people, that's not the things I pay attention to.
I think the biggest achievement in general for me, is to be able to live from my music. A lot of people can't do that and would love to. I'm just thankful that. It's a blessing!

United We Stand

  

Miss R: I've watched you in a few interviews and you are always smiling and come across as a very positive person. What makes Cali P happy?
There are a lot of things that actually make me happy. Everyday life, waking up in the morning. That's itself makes me happy. I give thanks for that. Simple things make me happy. Good conversations, good vibes, music, woman can make me happy ,definitely. Everyday life makes me happy.
Miss Radcliffe just made me happy with this nice interview. Big Up yaself!



Much Love Cali!!

 You can get Healing Of The Nation via iTunes by clicking here

No comments:

Post a Comment