Saturday 10 December 2016

Miss Radcliffe Meets......DJ DELUXE





Miss R: So, you're one of the top 'Urban' Dj's in Doncaster. Give me details on how the journey all started for you?

It all started not long after I turned 19. I'd always been into music from a very young age, I was basically brought up around it. But, at the age of 19 I decided to  buy my first pair of DJ decks (A Ministry of Sound starter kit) then every week I'd buy myself a piece of vinyl and started learning how to play.

Miss R: Who was your biggest inspiration?

I wouldn't really say I have a sole inspiration, as I have many lol! Listening to guys like Tim Westwood, Steve Sutherland, Trevor Nelson & Chris Goldfinger on the radio growing up, played a massive part for me wanting to do what I do today.

Miss R: What has been the most memorable night for you? As a DJ?

The most memorable night for me? Wow, There have been a couple to be honest. Firstly I would probably have to say my first real gig, which believe it or not was in Tryst nightclub in Doncaster (now known as Graffiti Bar). I went from playing in my tiny box bedroom to playing to a packed out club on a Bank Holiday.  It was daunting let's say lol.
The next most memorable occasions was being the warm up & down DJ for Tim Westwood & Trevor Nelson when they played in Doncaster.... Oh & meeting DJ Jazzy Jeff!

Miss R: How do you separate yourself from other DJ's? What makes you different?

I'm not really sure what makes me different to other DJs to be honest. I guess I could say I'm very humble when it comes to doing what I do! Some DJ's like to shout it from the roof top how great they are, where as I just keep my head down and get on with the job.

Miss R: You also have your own Radio show on SineFM 102.6
(Tues 3-6pm) playing RnB, Hip Hop, Reggae and Dancehall...Do you prefer being in the studio or playing in the clubs?

I can't say I prefer one to the other because I love doing both.  I experience different emotions and feelings. Being in the club and seeing the dance floor full of people, all having a good time, knowing you're creating that good happy vibe and  knowing you're entertaining people is such an awesome feeling. 
On the radio, you're not just playing to one room.. you're playing to the country & even the world! When I receive messages from people in different countries telling me they are listening to my show and they are liking what they're hearing.. that also is an awesome feeling.


Miss R:What are your Top 5 songs to play?

This is a tough question lol, There are so many songs I like to play and so many songs I can guarantee will get the crowd/dance floor hyped.
Montell Jordan-  'This is How We Do It'
Fatman Scoop-  'Be faithful'
Donell Jones -  'Say What'
Flo-Rida & T-Pain-  'Low' ....and that's just to name a few lol.


Miss R: Where do you see yourself one-two year's from now? What is your ultimate goal within the music industry?

Hmmm... To be honest I don't really set myself  goals, I literally just take each day, each month and each year as they come and see where it takes.  I don't set myself specific target's just to keep doing what I'm doing, although having said that, I would love to work on Radio 1xtra.


Miss R: What is the best thing about being a DJ?

The best thing about Ding is the fact I  that I get to share my love and passion for music & my passion for DJing with the rest of the world. Also, It's given me an opportunity  to meet new people. I've made a lot of new friends while DJing. It's the entertaining people that I love.

..Miss R: And the worst?

The worst thing?..I would probably have to say, the overly intoxicated customers lol. They ask some daft questions and want to look through my music collection for songs they like.
The hours can sometimes get to me. Being a DJ can be a very tiring job.

Miss R: What advice would you give to aspiring DJs?

The best advice I would give is just be yourself! Be unique and don't try to be like anybody else.
We will all have our own specific ways of doing thing's. We're in the same game but at the same time we're all very different. Also  be humble! Don't talk about how good you are. if you're good at what you do and you know it, leave it to the people to talk about.
I can't stress enough that being humble in this game is a must.


Miss R: What festivals and/or Venues would you most like to play at?

I would love the opportunity to play at one of the big carnivals.
Leeds or Notting Hill.
I've had the pleasure of going to the Leeds & Notting Hill carnival and it was a great experience, but I'd definitely love the chance to drop a set at either one.
The Leeds/Reading festivals would be great too.


Miss R: What events do you have coming up...Where are you playing next?

Wow! Where do I start lol. As it's now the run up to Christmas, I'm massively busy with bookings. I've also just started a new residency in Barnsley at the new club called Project.
I have a lot of gigs in Doncaster too..The Tiki Bar, The Courtyard, Manana Manana & Secrets nightclub.





No comments:

Post a Comment