Friday 2 December 2016

Miss Radcliffe Meets......DOBBY


Big up this young, talented lady who is making moves on the airwaves and has even bigger plans for the future in order to share great music to the world...If you dont know her yet, then get to know....Superstar DJ on the rise...Dobby



photo: instagram.com/iamsherellethomas


Miss R: You're making moves on the airwaves with your show WitchezzBrew at @Reprezentradio (Tues 7-9pm) So...how did it all start for you?

Thank you so much! For me, my radio journey started when I was just 14 years old. I knew I wanted to get into the music industry but I had no idea how or what it was exactly I wanted to do.
I got work experience at a local studio, which was used for music production and I was also on online community radio station Break London.
I remember on my first day, the station manager basically took me to the live studio and pretty much said "off you go" and I went home and said to my parents that I knew radio was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.
I then pretty much got a slot on Break London. From there (which served as my little radio boot camp) Myself and my cousin, Rebecca Judd used to lock ourselves in the Break London’s' studio and practise links in front of each other. From Break London, I managed to get an internship at Radio 1 & 1Xtra and moved to Reprezent, which has such an amazing family vibe. I’m very thankful for my journey thus far and excited to see what’s next in store for me!

Miss R: How did you come up with  Witchezz Brew?

Witchezz Brew came about 2 years ago, after feeling like I didn't have much of a brand and I really worked on cultivating what Witchezz Brew was and what makes it stand out

Miss R: Who/what has been your biggest inspiration?

There’s a couple of people who have been pretty massive inspirations for me. First and foremost, my dad is a huge inspiration to me. He was the first person to introduce me to music and DJing. He even took me to my first ever festival haha.
Some of my earliest memories are of me sitting on top of his record box and watching him DJ. Another significant inspiration of mine is my mentor, Jamz Supernova. I remember listening to her show, Future Bounce when she used to be on Reprezent when I was 16 and feeling like wow, there’s someone out there who plays all the stuff I’m into and seeing her journey to push the boundaries and make that music heard on national radio makes me believe that I, too, can do it!
I remember on the first day of my internship at Radio 1 and 1Xtra, I met her and she was just the loveliest. I’m so thankful to have someone like her as a mentor. I’ve really learned a lot from her, from the way to carry yourself, to looking after your social media, to new DJing techniques.

Miss R: As a DJ, What has been your most memorable night/event?

I think my most memorable night has to be opening up for the August edition of Future Bounce. I’m one of the regular warm up DJ’s for Future Bounce and on this line up we had Full Crate, Mar, Lee Millah and Midas Hutch, who are from the 'Rock The Boat collective' in Amsterdam. It was just such a fun night. The set I did really got the crowd nicely warmed up. The club reached capacity at 1AM and it was vibes galore.

Miss R: Do you prefer being in the studio or playing in the clubs?

This is gonna sound like a cop out but I promise it isn’t.  I actually love both for different reasons. I love being in the studio and doing my own show, because that’s something I’ve been building for the past two years and it’s my baby, essentially. I love introducing people to new, alternative music instead of what they’ve already being exposed to and inviting interesting artists to share their stories and provide a platform for their voices.
I love playing in the clubs because nothing beats the feeling of people vibing out to your set that you curated. I love looking up and just seeing people dancing and appreciating the music. It’s priceless.

Miss R: What other projects are you involved in?

I also work at Radio 1 & 1Xtra as Team Assistant, helping out on the production on all your favourite shows from; Trevor Nelson to Charlie Sloth to Huw Stephens. I also work quite closely with my best friend, Olivia Louise and her music. I think she is one of the UK’s top talents and I just believe in her so much that where-ever I can help, I will.

Miss R: What are your Top 5 songs to play?

At the moment, it’s looking like:

* Miraa May – Benji
* Solange – Cranes In The Sky (Kaytranada Remix)
* Migos – Bad n Bouji (Negium Edit)
* Ravyn Lenea – Sleep Talking
* BANKS – Gemini Feed (Swell Remix)

Miss R: Without giving too much away, Where do you see yourself in 1-2 years from now? What is your ultimate goal?

I think in 1-2 years time, I definitely see Witchezz Brew growing to a point where it’s so much more than just a radio show. I want to publish a book, I want to have a compilation CD/EP, I want to be throwing a yearly party called the Witchezz Brew Ball with all proceeds going to charity. For me, Witchezz Brew is not just a cool name; it’s an actual lifestyle, dedicated to making all aspects of your life magical in whatever way you can and to carry and convey magical vibes to the world despite all the negativity that gets thrown at you and that is the ultimate goal for me.

Miss R: What festivals and/or Venues would you most like to play at?

I’d love to play Glastonbury and Bestival one day. They just seem like these other-worldly events let alone a festival. I feel like I’d be right at home at either of those festivals. In terms of clubs... I’d love to play Fabric, Koko, Warehouse Project in Manchester and Motion in Bristol. I’d also love to travel to different countries to DJ. At the minute, Berlin and Amsterdam are on my list so, hopefully within the next year I’ll make that a reality to play in both those cities.


Miss R: What advice would you give to aspiring DJs?

I have two pieces of advice:
1. Patience is the ultimate key in the music industry, especially as you’re starting out. I remember being so eager and just wanting to jump into things when I was younger when I really wasn’t ready.
Take your time, work as hard as possible and your time will come.

2. Don’t worry about what everyone else is doing. Focus on yourself and you’re already on to a winner. I found coming up, that worrying about what the next person was quite detrimental to my own progress. I remember reading somewhere “Don’t compare your chapter 1 to someone else’s chapter 22” which is what I live by. I’m at where I’m at, and doing what I know I can do to my authentic best. That’s all that matters to me.

Miss R: What's the best way for upcoming artist to get their music to you? 

The best way an upcoming artist can get their music to me is by submitting to my submissions email which is: hi.withcezzbrew@gmail.com
I always look in there for what’s new and I have supported the likes of Shadez The Misfit, Ella Frank, S E G and more all through that submissions email!

AMAZING! Thank you Dobby.
Hear her latest mix on soundcloud
www.reprezent.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment